- Uganda is located on the African continent. The country is landlocked borders five countries: Kenya, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Rwanda and Tanzania. The longest border is shared with the DRC.
- Uganda is one of the most densely populated countries in Africa, with a population of circa 47 million (as at 2020). It is also one of the fastest growing countries in Africa.
- Ages below 14 years 29.2%, 14-64 years 77%, above 65 years 2.8%.
- The economic and government capital city is Kampala which is a 40-minute drive from Entebbe International Airport.
- Uganda supports the largest UN Air Services in the region (i.e.. East, Central Africa).
- The current Government is considered stable and has been in power since the 1986.
- Uganda’s official languages are English and Swahili.
Branches in Uganda
- MU-JHU is located at Mulago Hospital in Uganda. Mulago Hospital is the largest national referral hospital in Uganda.
- MU-JHU is a collaboration between Makerere University and John Hopkins.
- It was founded in 1988 with a focus on research in HIV and TB in children, adolescents and women with their families.
- MU-JHU has conducted several landmark research studies, which have informed global and national policy and paved the way to Eliminate Mother to Child HIV Transmission and improve maternal and pediatric HIV care.
- MU-JHU has the capacity to conduct trials in other therapeutic areas including; oncology, CNS, COVID, Vaccine trials, Asthma, NASH, Cardiovascular, etc.
Uganda Virus Research Institute
- The Uganda Viral Research Institute (UVRI) is located along the shores of Lake Victoria in Entebbe.
- Entebbe is 37 km south-west of Kampala. Entebbe is home to Uganda’s International Airport.
- The population of Entebbe is estimated to be circa 79 000 people.
- The site has experience spanning in excess of two decades, conducting studies in infectious diseases.
- UVRI has extensive experience conducting studies in HIV.
- They are however keen to conducting trials in other therapeutic areas, for which they have the capacity and abilities to execute.
- Located at Mulago Hospital in Kampala. Mulago Hospital is the largest Ugandan hospital and is also the national referral hospital.
- It has a catchment area for the entire country, with a population of 46 million people.
- Baylor-Uganda was established in 2003.
- The site has extensive experience in Pediatric HIV clinical trials and TB.
- It has the capacity to carry out trials in other therapeutic areas including; oncology, vaccine trials, asthma, CNS, NASH, cardiovascular studies, etc.