South Africa Overview
- South Africa has a diverse population of 60.14 million
- 66.7 % of the population is urban (39,550,889 people in 2020.
- The median age in South Africa is 27.6 years.
- The total number of households increased annually between 2002 and 2019. Between this period, South Africa registered an incline of approximately 35 percent
- 0.97% (2018 est.) Country comparison to the world: 114th
- Of the total South African population at the time, 79.4 percent declared themselves to be Black African while 9.2 percent were shown as White, 8.8 percent colored and 2.6 percent Indian or Asian.
Branched in South Africa
- The MRI flagship, a site established in 2000 by Dr MS Tayob.
- The site forms part of a large General Practice with an existing database of 40 000 patients, with documented medical history.
- Has conducted >120 trials with Therapeutic areas that include: COPD, Asthma, Osteo-Arthritis, Post Herpetic Neuralgia, Peripheral Neuropathy, Anxiety, ABBSSSI’s, Type 1 & 2 Diabetes, HIV, cUTI Hyperlipidaemia, Vaccines, Pneumonia, Influenza, Vaccines +++. Experience in conducting adult and paediatric trials.
- Just 4km from OR Tambo International Airport and situated in one of the busiest transport hubs in Gauteng, with an average of 250 000 people which pass the site on a monthly basis.
- It is part of a large Primary Healthcare Practice with a database of 50 000 patients, all with documented medical history.
- Has conducted phase II to phase IV trials in Therapeutic areas that include: Asthma, Osteo-Arthritis, Chron’s, Diabetes, ABSSSI’s, Cardiovascular.
- It is well known for its innovative methods of recruitment and makes use of mobile technology to recruit & screen patients.
- The site participated in the SCRS Site Tank Awards 2019 and achieved the Site Tank Runners-up Award.
- Operational since 2010.
- Part of a General Practice near amenities and busy transport areas.
- The custom built centre, caters for all aspects required to conduct clinical trials and have a dedicated clinical research team.
- Welkom’s population: 431 thousand people within the recruitment catchment area.
- The Principal Investigator, Dr Yacoob AK Vahed has been a PI for over 10 years and conducted clinical trials in therapeutic areas such as Asthma, COPD, Diabetes, Osteo Arthritis, Skin Infections and Influenza.